Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Fighting threats from Stalinists and Fascists to use court injunctions and physical violence to silence free speech
The working class can kiss my arse, I've got the Councillor's job at last
The Luke Akehurst blog - The genuine Luke Akehurst weblog about politics, elections, the Labour Party and that ghastly Hackney place. Ignore counterfeit Luke Akehurst blogs - this is the genuine article from the chap who whips Hackney Labour councillors in his spare time.
Now with extra added ingredient Linda K Smith. Helps wash your family whiter!

"My favourite film is Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learnt To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb" - Luke Akehurst
"Funny and clever but not particularly nice" - Time Out
"With added foie gras, steak, soft cheese, claret and port (hic!)" - Luke Akehurst
"In gustatus perquam putidus est" - Vatican Bank
"Not so much 'Who's Who?' as 'Who's Sleeping With Whom?'" - Peter Mandelson
"You can judge a blogger's politics by the colour of their blog banner" - The spoof Luke Akehurst
"By a coalition of Trots, tree huggers, anarchists, Tories and a nasty little clique over-excited about my hair colour" - Luke Akehurst

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Lords Reform

A recent commenter on my blog wanted to know what I think about Lords Reform.

I've made my views very clear in the past, but just to make my position extra clear I'll repeat myself. I don't believe that any one who has not been elected by the people should be involved in passing the laws we live under. So I am in favour of a 100% elected Upper House, starting now.

  • No "if"s, no "but"s.
  • No "phasing out" of hereditaries or life peers.
  • No Bishops or other faith group reps.
  • No appointed "experts".
  • No prime ministerial patronage.
  • No Lord Levy.
  • No Lord Falconer.
  • No Lord Sainsbury.
  • No Lord Goldsmith.
  • No Lord Townsley.
  • No Lord Garrard.
  • No Lord Noon.
  • No Lord Patel.
  • No large donations or loans.
  • No money in the bank.
  • No protection from bankruptcy.
  • No Labour Party.
  • Oh, no!
Right - Lords Reform.

England test match practice outside the Houses of ParliamentWhat I would do first and foremost is to get parliament to enact a bill to greatly reduce the powers of the freehold owning body, Middlesex County Cricket Club. At the same time we would substantially increase the statutory powers of the England and Wales Cricket Board.

This would allow the national test, one-day and 20/20 sides to have much greater access to decent training facilities at the ground and reduce the dependence of our national teams on the green in Parliament Square for their training sessions.

This could only help to improve our dismal performance against Australia in the Ashes and the one-day test series and...

No comments: